We had the glorious opportunity to have Sunday Night Family Dinner this week. While we were all together, for the first time in weeks, I took the opportunity to bring up some topics I wanted the family to discuss. One topic was CABLE TV.
I casually suggested that maybe we didn't need cable TV and we should cancel it. I think in a lot of ways we would be better off without it. Lest, you think I am a Luddite; this would leave us with a measly 4 computers, and two Ipads with which to spend screen time.
Well, you would have thought I suggested we sell Hilde. Both girls gasped and began to defend their beloved cable. The argument went something like this:
- Me: I think we should cancel cable
- Maeve & Hilde: (horrified gasp) WHAT WOULD WE DO THAT FOR?
- Me: TV is bad for you and it would save money.
- Hilde: But we've always had cable! We don't know how to live without it. We are not like you who grew up with BLACK AND WHITE TV!
- Me: I had color TV, we just had a black & white set also.
- Hilde: I bet it had bunny ears
- Me: Rabbit ears, they are called Rabbit ears and yes we did have them.
- Maeve: We MUST have FOOD NETWORK. What will I watch without FOOD NETWORK.
- Hilde: I NEED to watch Little House on the Prairie.
- Maeve: Here let me show you this. This is what it would be like.
When I stopped laughing, I realized I can't argue. I don't want to go back their either.